Chat GPT - From German Homework to Coding
Anyone even remotely interested in tech topics could hardly escape the hype surrounding the "ChatGPT" bot developed by OpenAI in recent weeks. "GPT" stands for Generative Pre-Trained Transformer. Behind it is a bot trained with various methods of "reinforcement learning", with which you can actually talk more or less - like in a chat.
The application scenarios of artificial intelligence are never-ending. Everything is possible, from doing German homework to generating text in marketing to creating IT codes. If artificial intelligence can produce such amazingly good content, then applicants can also use it for their own purposes.
Four specific examples of how Chat GPT can help you apply for jobs
This is how Chat GPT can help you optimise your CV:
- Language and phrasing: Chat GPT can make suggestions on language use to ensure that your CV is clear, concise and professionally worded. This includes using action verbs, avoiding clichés and paying attention to correct grammar and punctuation.
- Formatting: Chat GPT suggests certain formatting to make the CV visually appealing and easy to read. This includes font type and size, spacing and the use of bullet points.
- Content: Chat GPT can suggest the content of your CV. For example, highlight the most important experiences and skills that match the job description.
- Keywords: Chat GPT can identify keywords that match the job description. If you include relevant buzzwords, your CV and LinkedIn profile are more likely to be found by recruiters and hiring managers who use application management systems (ATS).
Chat GPT can help you write personalised cover letters, also called motivation letters. You should be as detailed and specific as possible in your instructions so that Chat GPT is relevant to the job description, the company and the industry. The tool can also suggest which skills and experience are relevant to highlight. This allows you to personalise each cover letter rather than using a generic template over and over again. This way you make it clear why you are the right person for the job.
Chat GPT can help applicants to learn about the tasks of the future employer and the industry. For example, the tool provides valuable insights into job prospects, average salaries and trends in the field. So you can not only prepare well, but also make good decisions.
For example, if an applicant is applying for a marketing position at a technology company, Chat GPT can be used to research the company's competitors in the technology industry, the latest marketing trends in technology, and the company's mission, values and culture. This information can then also be used to tailor the CV, cover letter and interview responses to show the person's suitability for the company and the job.
Chat GPT can identify common interview questions and help you practise and improve your answers. This will make you look much more competent and confident in the interview.
- Practice answers to common questions
- Suggestions for questions to ask the employer (shows that you have prepared yourself)
- Small talk practice 😉
- Simulation of a real job interview
However, you should pay attention
- Incorrect answers: AI tools can sometimes give incorrect answers. Check the answers and make sure they are correct, otherwise you will embarrass yourself in front of your future employer.
- Lack of human interaction: While chat GPT can help you simplify the application process, it cannot replace human interaction or empathy. Be aware of this in any case. After all, soft facts like values and beliefs also determine whether you are suitable for the job or not.
- Overestimation: It is important not to rely solely on the Chat GPT. Be sure to do your own research and networking to find the best job possible.
- "No Fit": All the artificial intelligence and tools won't help you if the job doesn't suit you and your skills. Be clear about what you want, get informed and take your next steps accordingly.